San Juan Capistrano Experience
Monday, April 24 | 8:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Guests will visit the Mission San Juan Capistrano. This is a wonderful overview tour that allows guests to visit and learn about the beginning of California through its Mission system as well as enjoy the beautiful town of San Juan Capistrano. Once arriving to the Mission, docents will lead the group on a tour of a portion of the 10 ½ acre facility. Beautiful landscaped courtyards, old adobe buildings and a chapel adorned with an ornate gilded alter are just a few of the sights they will see and enjoy. The Mission in San Juan Capistrano is known around the world for the mysterious “Return of the Swallows” in March of every year. This Mission is considered the “jewel in the crown” of all the California Missions – it is not to be missed!
Following the Mission, guests can choose to explore Los Rios District with our guide or on their own! The Los Rios District lies directly across the railroad tracks from the Capistrano Depot and is the oldest neighborhood in California. The forty homes that remain here include three original adobe structures. Today, although most of the homes are private residences, there are many businesses open to the public during business hours. This provides a relaxing and enchanting experience for locals and tourists alike. To walk the streets of the Los Rios District is to recapture the tranquility of the slower pace of life that existed before the turn of the century and before!
- 8:45 AM – Meet in Hotel Lobby
- 9:00 AM – Depart Hotel
- 9:15 AM – Arrive in San Juan Capistrano, Mission SJC Docent Led Tour
- 10:15 AM – Los Rios District with Guide or On Own
- 11:15 AM – Depart for Hotel
- 11:30 AM – Arrive at Hotel
Additional Mission San Juan Information
- Recommended Attire: Comfortable walking shoes.
- Mobility issues: The Mission walkways are primarily made of terra cotta tiles. Many are old and uneven. It is recommended to wear flat comfortable walking shoes.