Cold storage design and construction is literally the foundation of the cold chain. A temperature-controlled facilities design can impact every facet of operations from energy costs to turnover time. The member-only resources below are designed to help you design, build, and maintain superior facilities.
Are you a retailer, processor, manufacturer, or producer? Are you considering building and operating your own temperature-controlled facility? Download our ROI Kit to check the viability of building your own facility. To find a third-party logistics provider, browse our free online directory.
- Guide to Effective Warehouse Design, Maintenance, and Modernization – Dive into the physical structure of the warehouse, refrigeration engineering, maintenance, and more with this extensive technical guide.
- Guidelines for the Design, Construction, Specification and Fire Management of Insulated Envelopes for Temperature Controlled Environments – Published by the European Division of the International Association for Cold Storage Construction (IACSC), these guidelines provide contractors and operators with a comprehensive overview of design and installation of insulated envelopes in accordance with the latest UK and European standards. Copies of the guide are available for sale. Contact the European Division of IACSC for more information.
White Papers and Tools
- Application of Automation within a Public Refrigerated Warehouse – Learn about reasons to consider ASRS, challenges that may arise with ASRS, and building considerations for ASRS. The paper also includes a handy checklist of design, construction, and scope considerations for an ASRS project.
- Cold Storage Maintenance Matrix – Learn about the ins and outs of warehouse maintenance with this handy Microsoft Excel file that can be adapted as needed.
- Construction Café Report and Resources – Learn about the latest trends in cold storage construction discussed during roundtable discussions held in November 2014.
- Controlled Environment Fire Prevention: Using Oxygen Reduction Technology in the U.S. – Learn about controlled environment fire protection, including how it works, its viability in the U.S., and costs compared with traditional fire sprinkler systems.
- Energy Modeling Guideline for Cold Storage and Refrigerated Warehouse Facilities – Designers of cold storage and refrigerated facilities can use this guidance document to certify buildings under the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) LEED rating system.
- Fire Safe Solar White Paper – Learn best practices in installing and maintaining a fire-safe solar photovoltaic (PV) system.
- Solar Energy Fact Sheet – Get answers to some of the most common questions about solar energy systems for temperature-controlled facilities with this helpful fact sheet.
- Solar Photovoltaic System Guidelines – This white paper can help you identify requirements and pros and cons of solar systems in general and provides an overview of different types of solar technologies and mounting systems.
- Fire Responder Communication Plan – Get help communicating with fire responders about your solar arrays.
IACSC Board of Directors
The International Association for Cold Storage Construction (IACSC) is led by a Board of Directors made up of leaders from the temperature-controlled construction industry, including contractors and suppliers. MORE
IACSC-IARW Construction/Codes Committee
This technical committee covers all aspects of warehouse construction, including design, cost, materials, and codes. View the membership roster.