On July 30, 2010, GCCA signed an historic Alliance agreement with the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA). This was the first alliance signed between OSHA and an industry partner under the Alliance Program’s new criteria and presents a strong opportunity to highlight the importance of safety across the cold chain. The voluntary agreement provides GCCA members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by preventing exposure to hazards related to ammonia refrigeration systems. It is also designed to improve Process Safety Management (PSM) programs and help companies provide a safe working environment under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). Read more »
For more information on the Alliance Program, please visit OSHA’s GCCA Alliance website.
- Mike Chapman, Manager of Process Safety Mgmt. / Risk Mgmt. and Homeland Security Programs, Tyson Foods Inc.
- Gene Dumas, Refrigerating Engineers and Technicians Association (RETA)
- Bob Hunt, A/E Project Principal, The Haskell Company
- James Marrella, Coordinator of OSHA & EPA Compliance & Training, United States Cold Storage, Inc.
- Ryan Nye, Safety Manager, AmeriCold Logistics LLC
- Lowell Randel (Primary Contact), Director of Government Affairs, Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA)
- Gary Webster, Global Refrigeration Engineer, Kraft Foods Global, Inc
- Gary White, Refrigeration Engineering Foreman, Bellingham Cold Storage Co.
Below are free, downloadable resources produced by the GCCA-OSHA Alliance team.
These helpful posters are available free of charge to members and nonmembers. We encourage you to print out the posters and post them where employees can see them. Each poster is 8.5″x11″. While we do not offer printed copies, all are welcome to download and print.
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Identifying Ammonia Leaks
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Identifying Ammonia Leaks (Spanish Version)
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Know Your Emergency Action Plan
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Know Your Emergency Action Plan (Spanish Version)
- Ammonia Safety Poster: OSHA National Emphasis Program
- Personal Protective Equipment
Articles and Other Resources
- National Emphasis Program Documentation Checklist
- Prevent Heat Illness for Outside Workers
- OSHA Urges Employers: Ban Texting While Driving – An article about the dangers of distracted driving and what employers can do to prevent it.
- OSHA Success Story: Haskell Improves Safety Performance at Construction Projects Through OSHA’s Cooperative Programs and On-site Consultation Program – successful safety story from IARW-IACSC Member The Haskell Company
- OSHA Distracted Driving Page
- OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page: Ammonia Refrigeration
- OSHA eTools: Ammonia Refrigeration
- OSHA’s Campaign to Prevent Heat Illness in Outdoor Workers
- OSHA’s Fall Prevention Campaign
- North American Occupational Safety and Health Week
- Alliance Program Construction Round