Global Cold Storage Capacity Report
The International Association of Refrigerated Warehouses (IARW) has been collecting data on the global cold storage industry since 1998. The survey is used to write the Global Cold Storage Capacity Report, which provides industry growth trends, market development indicators, and market comparisons. The report also provides foreign investors with an invaluable resource for identifying potential investment opportunities. This is the only comprehensive look at worldwide cold storage capacity in the world.
2016 GCCA Global Cold Storage Capacity Report
The total capacity of refrigerated warehouses was 600 million cubic meters in 2016, an increase of 8.6% since 2014 (4.2% annualized growth rate). Considerable new construction in emerging markets explains most of the increase in refrigerated warehousing space.
About the Report
Written by Dr. Victoria Salin, a professor in the Department of Agricultural Economics at Texas A&M University, the 30-page report includes analyses on growth trends in global capacity, market development indicators, and characteristics of refrigerated warehouses around the world. This report provides an update on refrigerated warehouse capacity in 52 countries using information collected from international offices of the Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA). The primary data source was a survey administered in spring 2016 by the GCCA staff. In addition, official government reports were the sources for information on the United States (U.S. Department of Agriculture) and India (India Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare).
Members: Download the Report
GCCA Core Partner Members and Supporting Partners may download the entire IARW Global Cold Storage Capacity Report free of charge. This report is offered as a member benefit. Please note: you must be an active member and logged in to download the report. You may also order a complimentary copy from the online store.
Non-Members: Purchase the Report
Non-members are welcome to purchase a copy of the GCCA Global Cold Storage Capacity Report. The report is available in an electronic PDF format. The report is available to nonmembers for $1,000. Purchase the report from the online store. Download a sample of the report.
- IARW Global Top 25 List - public refrigerated warehouses (PRWs) with the greatest capacity of warehouse space in the world
- IARW North American Top 25 List - public refrigerated warehouses (PRWs) with the greatest capacity of warehouse space in North America
- USDA NASS Cold Storage Monthly Summary - contains U.S. regional and national end-of-month stocks of meats, dairy products, poultry products, fruits, nuts, and vegetables in public, private and semi-private refrigerated warehouses
- USDA NASS Cold Storage Annual Summary - contains the U.S. annual regional and national totals for end-of-month holdings of meat, dairy products, poultry products, fruits, nuts and vegetables in public, private, and semi-private refrigerated warehouses
- USDA NASS Capacity of Refrigerated Warehouses - presents data on the number of refrigerated warehouses by type and size group for states and US; includes public, private and semiprivate general warehouse capacity, apple and pear storage capacity; gross space and usable space for refrigerator, cooler or freezer space